Wednesday, September 06, 2006

what if

Matthew 5:11-12: "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

Today I was talking to an old friend of mine in China through MSN. Since I was reading the book "the Case for Faith" at the same time, I asked her this question "if historically Jesus lived and died and was raised from the dead, will you believe that there is this God". In my case, the fact related with this question is definitely the key to my faith.

However, this friend didn't quite get my question at first. Then I repeated twice and emphasized "I mean, if it is true". She refused to take the assumption, and claimed that everything must be legendary, and started to ignore me in the messenger.

I was a little upset, because apparently she misunderstood my intention and thought I wanted to convince her of something, while I was only curious about what random non-Christians would think of the importance of Jesus' resurrection to Christianity.

Now that I thought about it, my initial intention actually makes no difference. The message is the same: I am excited about God's presence and I want to share it with people. In fact, I am glad this experience gave me an idea of how difficult it would be to spread God's words to people who are not willing to open their doors.

Having a second thought, I am not sure that I would be less annoyed than my friend if I was asked such a question before I got to know about the real Christianity, although at this moment the significance of Jesus being raised from the dead is so certain and irreplaceable to me.

It feels like that I have been in two completely different worlds. I hope I can keep the ability of speaking two different languages so that people on the both sides can understand each other better, so that all of them be showered with God's love and glory, and so that God would be delighted in me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elbow said...

I try to walk that line between the two as well...even though I've always been a Christian. To me the best thing to do is focus on what would be going through my head if I didn't know Jesus. I don't think you loose the ability to communicate because you won't forget what life was life before.

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home