Sunday, July 16, 2006

the journey of desire

I have a complex feeling toward this book "the journey of desire" by John Eldredge.

When I started to read it, I did not like it. At some point, I even hated the fact that it stirred some of my memories and emotions buried deeply long time ago.

Now that I finished the whole book, I would say that it is worth reading and has some very inspiring ideas in it. Although I don't agree on everything John Eldredge proposed there, what he wrote has got me to think quite a bit about desires, life and God. It also forced me to be honest with myself and God, which is a good thing, I suppose.

So, what do I want? This is the key question in the book. Without knowing our true desires, we can't fully delight in what God has been offering us. Consequently, we might lose the hope for what God promised us in the eternal life, because you can only hope for what you desire.

For most of my life I have been rather clueless. If God was standing in front of me and aske me the question, I would probably stare blankly at him. And it's not that sort of test question which has some standard answer and I have been pretty good at.

What you say should be directly from your heart. It will totally make no sense to try to give God an answer to satisfy him, because he is asking "what do you want?" instead of "guess what I want you to have?" Apparently he knows everything. The problem is whether or not we are aware of the desire in our hearts.

Currently I am in the stage of job-hunting. There are a lot of opportunities in front of me. God is waiting for me to make a decision. He is going to grant me what I desire to do, which remains unclear to me. Every direction has its cons and pros. How do I know which path is the right one to take?

At times like this, people ask for signs from God. However, at a second thought, what exactly do I mean by "the right path"? So in my heart I already know what I want from life. Making the "right" decision probably means by going this way I should be able to make the most of what I want out of my life. Is it Money? Health? Happiness? Or all of them?

For certain period of my life happiness used to be all I want. I tried so hard that my being happy almost seemed fake. Or sometimes it felt more like a numbness than real joy.

(to be completed)

2 Comments:

Blogger Elbow said...

John Eldredge is good at make people think about their relationship with God and getting you into touch with your true desires...read "Wild at Heart"

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will.

So many books to read. So little time.

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home